summer

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Can I get an AMEN!!!!


YEA!!! As of 7am this morning I have electricity!!! 15 days after hurricane Ike, I have power. I'm not going to lie.....I've had my good moments and my BAD moments. Although I have so much to be thankful for, I couldn't help but find myself crying a river at times. A huge thank you to EVERYONE we stayed with and who offered their homes. We can not tell you how blessed we are to have friends and family that care about us and love us.

Below is a brief summary of how the 15 electric free days unfolded....

Day 1: "oh dear, what should we do...just sit here and wait this out?"

Day 2: much travel to find ice, finally found it at a POD location after an hour wait in our car burning gas

Day 3: more travel to find ice and water - very difficult and almost couldn't find any

Day 4: travel to find gas and wondering "should we buy a generator? I can't imagine the lights will be off much longer"

Day 5: Can we get food if we need it? the thought "I sure hope our $700 worth of cow survive in that freezer"

Day 6: The cool weather is leaving...what shall we do? I'm going to Shaunda's she has A/C

Day 7: this is a nightmare, surely it won't be much longer

Day 8:
BJ is home from work, lets go ahead and get a generator from Madisonville and stay the night with Denise

Day 9: BJ hooked up a window unit and generator - maybe this will make us feel better in 95 degree weather -- FAT mama (me) still could not handle it

Day 10: I love you dear, but I'm going to stay at my mom's...you are more than welcome to join me (she had power and almost everyone we knew had it back)

Day 11: still at mom's but had to come home twice a day to feed my poor dog who was stuck in the heat!

Day 12: at mom's -- numb to the situation

Day 13:oh well....no food in our frige, no lights to go home to......staying at mom's again...just another day

Day 14: THEY HAVE FORSAKEN ME! Please CenterPoint.....have you forgotten us? Everyone around us has electricity except us! Don't let those power trucks leave! We are still suffering!!

Day 15: No one tell me anything positive! I don't want to hear it.........they are never coming to rescue us. The sky IS falling!!!

Day 16: Who's house is that with it's front porch light on? Wait a minute....it is mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know 16 days doesn't sound like much, but put it in perspective. It's half of a month!!!! I will be loading up my car and driving as far north as possible the next time a hurricane is predicted to hit.

9 comments:

Lacy said...

AHAAAAAAAAALLLELUJIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AHALLLELUJIA!!!!!AHALLLELUJIA! Like Alice said...you would see the light soon enough. Enough WAS enough right????? Hope normalcy returns quickly!!

rhonda said...

whoaaa...I'm impressed how well you handled all that, I would have definitely had a mental and physical meltdown. So glad to hear you guys are back in the land of cool air, lights and best of all back in your own home, just in time for Landon's birthday party too. You guys take care and hope to see you soon. Can't wait to see what kind of pics the guys will have to share from their camping trip. :)

Anonymous said...

PTL and soak in the a/c and lights. Before you know it this will be a thing of the past (however not forgotten). Glad all is well. I know Landon will be glad to have his routine back (movies and all)
Love M/M

Sandel said...

I am so happy for you, I can not even imagine. You were a trooper, I would have had to of been committed. Love ya

MamaBird said...

AMEN!!!! and WOOT WOOT!!
I am so happy that you finally have your electricity back...now don't wear yourself out trying to get your house in order...just go sit down and enjoy that a/c for a while.
Love you...

ko said...

so glad they came back! I am so glad we go to talk Friday!!! I MISS YOU!
Love ya, and I am so happy your power is back on!

Carrie said...

Sada...is that you????? Oh happy day!!!! Good to have you back and thank God for electricity!!!! Thank you Thomas Edison!

Alice said...

You now see the light. Answered prayers!!!! Hope to see you soon. Are you still on for your walk to Emmaus. I am praying for you!!!

The Kelso-Winter Family said...

next time you head FAR north like up here when they predict a hurricane.. and this was only a 2..can you imagine..oops..better not go down that road..