summer

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Awesome God Teen Ministries

A few weeks ago the church I grew up at had a "youth group" 10 year reunion. Wow! Am I that old!!!?? It makes my heart skip a beat remembering the old days. We had a wonderful youth pastor who implemented many great things to attract teens. I believe many teens in need of hearing God's Word (including me) did so because of this great ministry at Spring Memorial Baptist Church. I KNOW God used Donnie Anthony to draw me to the Lord. Donnie and our church were a huge part of me having a Bible base in my life. I think this is why I have such a heart for teens. There are so many kids with no hope because they don't know God. I thank God for the blessing Donnie and his family were/are to me.
Their beautiful family. His wife, Trinetta, is hilarious. She is so cool. She is also a fabulous artist - very talented. His oldest son is in his second year of college. His middle son (the tallest) is going to try out for basketball (he's starting 9th grade). And last, but not least, his youngest loves doing mission work in China! Isn't that cool. Donnie was over missions at his church in San Antonio and has traveled to Sri Lanka, China, and other places. I love these guys!
Us entering the party :)
Donnie is such a talented man. He works with silver and one of his signatures was to make silver crosses for all the graduating seniors. What a great keep sake! The other thing he did for our group was have James Avery make charms to represent us. He had one left and made it into a ring. Isn't it cool!
This car was a rusty frame when I was a teen. Her name is Nadine. As a matter of fact BJ helped Donnie pick this car (frame) up from the "car lot" (??). Donnie completely restored it. There are many memories of this car.....it was in sermons, the kids helped with it, etc.

4 comments:

Lacy said...

What a great memory to relive. Youth group was vital in my life and I loved reading aout your fond memories. What a great idea to do a reunion. Im off to work at school!!

MamaBird said...

How awesome that you all had a reunion. I am very thankful for my time in youth group too...there are so many other influences on teens lives during those years and it's wonderful that there are people like Bro. Donnie bringing God's word to teens. What a beautiful, amazing family he has!

(yes...this is Robin...hehehe)

ko said...

Wow! What great memories! You would be a PRECIOUS youth volunteer, pastor...something! Sada this world needs you to do that! In fact I think it is your calling FOR REAL! We have to get to work on this!!!! Love you and miss you and I am so excited for OCTOBER!
KYley

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the memories. It was great to see Donnie and his family. Wow, it is hard to believe his kids are at the age they are. I praise God for the growth you and BJ had within the youth group and God's word.
Love, M/M